Don Cunningham's 10 Point Plan for Lehigh County
- Convene Vision 2010 Countywide Planning Summit with our local government and business officials.
- Coordinate road, bridge and transportation planning to promote growth, revitalize cities, enhance downtowns and preserve greenfields and open space.
- Institute a County Main Street/Elm Street program and assign a coordinator to channel state and federal grants to improve and stabilize neighborhoods and downtowns.
- Create a high-level position in the executive office to focus on Inter-Municipal planning and Shared Services to help communities define opportunities for sharing services, reducing costs and creating efficiencies.
- Encourage the use of Council of Governments, which can adopt multi-municipal plans for city and township services.
- Create Development Zones in conjunction with state and municipal efforts that will aide developers and encourage economic investment in key commercial districts.
- Provide a voluntary "Smart Growth Template" that local governments could adopt within their planning and zoning codes to promote smart growth and open space preservation.
- Promote implementation of a "Conservation Overlay" in conjunction with municipalities along South Mountain to protect our mountainside and Lehigh River valley.
- Create a Greenway Belt along the Jordan Creek to connect the Allentown Park system with the Trexler Game Preserve.
- Work to make Route 22 safer and more efficient while also making mass transportation options part of the Lehigh Valley's long-term planning.